Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Vacuuming 101.


I figured since this thing called “sleep” doesn’t seem to like me, I’d take advantage and clean. 
I haven’t done a thorough cleaning of the boys’ room in eons and well, it’s kinda scanky up there. 
Don’t even want to talk about their bathroom.  I’m thinking there’s a reason their sister never allowed them to use hers.

I got them up and out of the house and started picking up and throwing out stuff and dusting and vacuuming. There are things under their beds they didn’t even know they still had.   
Thank god I’ve never let them eat or drink up there.  I can just imagine the science experiments that would have sprouted up had they been allowed food and drink to become one with the carpet!

I know who walked where and what kid did what.  

My computer/video/hoarder teenager has wires and cables and boxes under his bed.  Boxes of empty things;  cereal boxes, empty pop-tarts (insert correct licensing icon here), battery boxes, toy boxes and on and on…all perfectly shaped, clean and lined up under his bed. There are wires and cables and gadgets and tools and video games everywhere. And all his clothes are in neat little piles, outside of the drawers, so he can see everything he has so he can figure out what to wear. Oh, and Axe body spray of various scents, colors and sizes on his nightstand.

My “I-don’t-really-care-what-I-need-to-step-on-to-get-around” 11 year old just has STUFF!
Toys and papers and letters and cards and pencils and books. Books and books all over the place. 
He always has his nose in a book.   
He has a closet full of clothes.  He hasn’t grown much in a few years so he has all his brother’s hand-me-downs for the past 3 years, plus new stuff he likes and all this fills the entire closet but yet, he can’t ever find anything to wear because his clothes are strewn all over the floor, and he forgets to look in the closet!  
I’m thinking older bro’s idea of having everything where you can see might be a good idea for this little guy.

It’s kind of fun to be in cleaning mode again.  Last time I did this, I went through their toys and sat down and cried because I missed them being little and wearing their little matching jimmies, playing on the carpet.  Now, I see two growing, maturing boys.  Their personalities are all over the carpet and their individuality divides their room, almost exactly down the middle.

I’m thinking they’ll go into shock when they get home from school and walk into a clean room.  

They make me so happy.  They really are amazing individuals.  And cleaning out their room reminds me of who they are and how extraordinarily luck I am to be able to have these quirky personalities to clean up for.

No comments:

Post a Comment