Friday, October 7, 2011

No conditions

Do you except an “I love you” back?

When you tell someone “I love you”, are you waiting for the “I love you” back? 
Or are you content with just saying it? 
Is your “I love you” conditional upon them saying it back?  
Would your “I love you” change if you don’t get it back? 
 
I like those words - “I love you”. They are beautiful and happy and satisfying to say.  And while I feel different degrees of “I love you”, I never expect it back.  Because my “I love you” isn’t conditional on whether you love me or not.  I feel this way, regardless of whether you do or not.  Your feelings aren’t going to change the fact that I love you.  I’m still going to.  If I feel close enough to you to tell you “I love you”, it’s because I do.  Whether I love you with the pure, deep, open, honest, all-encompassing love of lifetimes of eternal knowing; whether I love you because you are a wonderful person, with kindness and compassion in your heart; whether I love you because you’re my child, who fills me with wonder and awe and a love so deep that it fills my soul and makes me whole…I love you.
And it isn’t conditional on whether you love me back. 
 
So I don’t need to hear it back.  It makes me happy just to tell you “I love you”, because of who you are, because of how you think, because of your soul.
 
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment