“FAMILY MEETING!”
When my three hear that, they drop what they’re doing and scamper along to wherever I am and we discuss the issues that involve us all. Sometimes, this “meeting” is a quick as “who’s coming to run errands with me” and sometimes it’s “Okay, what do each one of you think about …”
A long time ago, someone who I thought knew me, told me that I defined myself through my children. She didn’t mean it in a positive way.
“Define myself”…does that mean that valuing the input and ideas that belong to my children, make me who I am?
Does that mean that the importance I place on my children, as it relates to us as a family unit, is not something I should be doing?
I know who I am and I have taught my children to defend who they are and what they really believe in, to stand up for their truths, even if it means standing alone. Does that define me or them?
Allowing them to say how they feel, to acknowledge their concerns and to share mine with them defines me as a person or shows them how important and valuable a human being they are?
It amazes me how the three of them come together when we’re in crisis mode. They band together, taking different roles that each one seems to instinctively know, depending on the situation. They protect each other and hold each other up and put up an invisible, yet very palpable shield, around each other.
We are in crisis mode. And I can still call “Family-Meeting” on Skype, over the phone, via the internet; and they still band together and know the roles that they are supposed to take in this particular crisis.
If I needed to be defined by someone, there are no other human beings in this world who I admire more than my children. I consider it an honor to be defined through them.
Thank you for honoring me with your presence.
No comments:
Post a Comment